Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

91475 Posts in 6447 Topics- by 1296 Members - Latest Member: Wendi Skajem 89
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: memories  (Read 9531 times)
Chris Simmons 71

grass valley, CA

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2009, 02:38:43 PM »

it's been a long time and i just joined!  I left el dorado and went to private school....but i remember some of you from back then...hope alls well
Danny Dotson 70

Cheese, there I said it.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 02:39:33 PM »

Hello Chris, welcome    Grin

"Never misunderstand what you thought you misunderstood while presuming you misunderstood what you understanded, understood?. Ynnad Nostod
Chris Simmons 71

grass valley, CA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 03:08:29 PM »

Hi Danny....I remember your name....but you were a yr younger....do you remember claudia dickinson or sue kenson or debbie canole or joan kindig...they were some friends and neighbors that i was associated with...?  Nathan Mattie and his brothers lived near by and leslie fine...etc  etc  etc...
Danny Dotson 70

Cheese, there I said it.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 03:17:52 PM »

I graduated in 1970. I remember Claudia and Sue and Joan and Leslie.

"Never misunderstand what you thought you misunderstood while presuming you misunderstood what you understanded, understood?. Ynnad Nostod
Chris Simmons 71

grass valley, CA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 03:26:12 PM »

wow!  That seems so long ago.....I remember when the school was built and we were the first to use it! amazing!
Danny Dotson 70

Cheese, there I said it.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 03:35:07 PM »

I remember there was a sign in the orange grove that said, future site of high school. Interesting memories of those times.

Lynne Harding 71

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 03:50:25 PM »

Welcome, Chris!  Glad you finally found your way onto this site.  It's alot of fun and a nice way to reconnect.

EDHS sure has grown since the days when we all opened it.  One class equals the population of our entire school back then.
Judy Petalas 69
Global Moderator

Alpine, CA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 04:38:34 PM »

Hi Danny....I remember your name....but you were a yr younger....do you remember claudia dickinson or sue kenson or debbie canole or joan kindig...they were some friends and neighbors that i was associated with...?  Nathan Mattie and his brothers lived near by and leslie fine...etc  etc  etc...

Chris,

Welcome to the messageboard!

Claudia Dickinson is an active member here on the messageboard.  Joan Kindig is around as well, mostly on facebook I believe.  She is Joan Sowinski on facebook.

Sadly, Nathan Mattie passed away.  His brother David is a member here. 
Joan Kindig 71

Hesperia, Ca

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 08:13:12 AM »

Hi, everyone, how much fun is this site??? Getting in touch with Mary ,Joyce ,Danny  and Jay and now finding Chris Simmons what a great gift!! It takes my mind a few minutes to recall the name and all if a sudden the door opens and WOW!! The memories come flooding back!!!  I have a daughter that is a sophmore on high school and it's funny to think of the similarities!
Chris Simmons 71

grass valley, CA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 07:25:20 AM »

On Wednesday ...on my road trip I decided to go to Placentia and I drove by Valencia High...and Fosters Freeze is still there...and I drove by my old house and then El Dorado...the trees are much bigger and the town is HUGE!  I drove by the old Wagner house where i would go as an child to visit Mr. Wagner....he had an elevator...Its a museum!  WOW...then I drove to Chino where I moved to after Placentia and my gosh its changed...no more farm land there!  unbelievable...I bought my first house there for $40,000....now its in the $650,000 range...ANOTHER WOW!  Certainly worth the look becuz its been 30+ yrs since I have been there.... 
Douglas Curtis 70

Living the Dream!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 09:06:53 AM »

I've made the 'trip down memory lane' a couple of times and arrived at the same destination: 'wow street'

The old hardware store in downtown Yorba Linda is still open but with new owners - a Wisconsin couple who prefer California sunshine over Wisconsin snow.
Fosters Freeze looks the same as does the donut shop and strip-mall further west on Chapman.  The old Bank of America is gone, but downtown Placentia has the same feel even though it's revitalized.

Valencia and El Dorado still look good, but I was disappointed with the lack of continuity of additions at both schools.  It seemed apparent that the school district were less concerned with aesthetics and more concerned with cost. (or it could be that they just don't build things like they used to)

Esperanza Intercommunity Hospital [the hospital that failed] is now a retirement home, and the farming and oil fields nearby are gone.  My old neighborhood and surrounding neighboorhoods built in the 60's and early 70's still look familiar, and I miss Palm Ave (where only a remnant remains). 

Chris Simmons 71

grass valley, CA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 06:10:36 AM »

Does anyone remember The Worlds Best Hamburger place?Huh 
Wendy Hagmaier 80
Global Moderator

Tustin, CA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 08:06:19 AM »

Sure we do.  It's still in the same place, with a totally different look.  Over off La Palma and Imperial, kind of hiding beside the new overpass.
Al Eakle 72

Panama City FL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 05:28:50 AM »

We stopped in there for a burger during one of the trips back to Orange County. Burgers are still as good as I remember.

But I miss In and Out Burgers!

Al Eakle
Class of 1972
Dale Hoebel 75
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 10:04:12 AM »

I always thought they sucked, in fact, they still do!  Had a banana split for the heck of it at Foster Freeze.  It was great, but no little blue boat.  I was disappointed to say the least.  Bargain Basket is still there beleive it or not.The donut place is swarmed by mexican's so I don't go there. All the parks are owned also by Mexican's especially on holidays.     The only hills not completely commercialized or residentialized is by the dump and Carbon Canyon.  La Veta Hot Springs is long gone.  The whole enchilada is still good as is El Fartalota, Q-torta, and I saw the other day 301 club is still in tack.  Mervyns is gone, as is speedy mart and the tackroom.  Gem meats is still hanging in there, dome liquor, Brian's bar, and the Wagner house.  El Paso is long gone, Brian's turned it into off campus, and know it is a Mexican restaurant called the Canatina Lounge.  Food is excellent.  Kid's don't play baseball or football at any of the schools because they are all taken up by Soccer, soccer, and soccer.  Kid's don't play in the streets anymore because it is too dangerous.  Every other house is owned by some foreign american and neighbors in most neighborhoods just keep to themselves.  Alot has changed, I Just thought I would give you an update.!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: