Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

91413 Posts in 6440 Topics- by 1293 Members - Latest Member: Peter Huskisson 75
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Website Problem  (Read 20401 times)
Judy Petalas 69
Global Moderator

Alpine, CA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 07:15:13 AM »

Boy, do I feel stupid!!!  I didn't realize you could scroll past those links!  All week long, I've been thinking the messageboard was completely down.  I only got emails from a few people though and was wondering why more of you weren't complaining.  Now I know why.  DUH!  Guess I'd better let Lynne & Connie know what the key is to finding the board.   Grin
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 08:09:24 AM by Judy Petalas 69 » Logged
William Chen 86

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 09:15:59 AM »

I get the long banner too, and have been getting it for several weeks now. I've run spyware, virus software, etc amd nothing seems to get rid of it. Funny thing, if I access the site from work the banner doesn't appear, only when I use my personal computer at home. And I only get it when I access the EDHS Alumni website.

I can hide the header by clicking on the Big Yellow "eldorado.com" title.  This only works if you're not blocking javascript.  I suggest that no one click on any of the links in the spam header.  If you're using Mozilla Firefox, and are curious, intall noscript, adblock plus, and flashblock before attempting to visit the sites to make sure no malicious code runs on your system.  Be sure you clear the cookies from that site as well.  You can turn scripts and plugins off in IE as well, but it's quite tedious to go through all the numerous options just to toggle them on or off.

I've only seen the spam header on a few pages, and only just after you've reloaded the pages on Monday.  It might have been there before and was set to be hidden, but now it shows up.  If you look at the source (ctrl-U) of some pages that don't display them, it actually appears in the page code as well.  They don't seem to be triggered every time a page is loaded.  When I click on the Big Yellow "eldoradoalumni.com" title, the spam heading disappears, or hides away.  It's still there in the source, but you stop seeing it.

This "feature" seems to be part of this bulletin board software.  At the bottom of the web page source, a template is referenced.  I suspect a template file was corrupted at some point several weeks ago when you first saw them.  Maybe that's the first place to look.  Since it's just text, spyware, adware and virus scans won't find it.  You'll need to do a search through all the web page files and templates for the spam text strings.
Randi Corless 75

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 09:49:08 AM »

HUH?  hahaha thanks William for that info I'm sure someone knows what it means, I WISH I was more computer savvy... WELCOME too I don't think I've seen you post!

Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it.
-Martin Luther King Jr.
Randi Corless 75

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 10:56:20 AM »

Boy, do I feel stupid!!!  I didn't realize you could scroll past those links!  All week long, I've been thinking the messageboard was completely down.  I only got emails from a few people though and was wondering why more of you weren't complaining.  Now I know why.  DUH!  Guess I'd better let Lynne & Connie know what the key is to finding the board.   Grin

HEHEHE I wonder if Bob will ever figure it out!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it.
-Martin Luther King Jr.
Bill Arthur 71
Administrator

Lawndale, CA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 12:15:05 PM »

Yes, I'm working on this problem. I hope to have it resolved this weekend. I've seen this before and I thought I had it stopped by blocking the IP address of some of the referring sites

It looks like the hackers have found a weakness in the Apache webserver platform, rather than our software or templates.

I have several plans of attack. Very likely it'll mean that some of the pages that you have bookmarked won't work. Just go to the main page to get to the messageboard again.

And thank you William Chen. I hadn't seen that clicking on the logo would clear the spam. That's an important clue.
William Chen 86

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 12:15:31 PM »

HUH?  hahaha thanks William for that info I'm sure someone knows what it means, I WISH I was more computer savvy... WELCOME too I don't think I've seen you post!

I'm new to the site.  I only just found it last Thursday.  I'm hoping whoever's in charge of maintaining the website (Bob, maybe) will figure out what I'm talking about and remove that annoyingly long spam header.
Bonny Alaska 73

Cedar City, UT

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 12:19:09 PM »

I'm new to the site.  I only just found it last Thursday.  I'm hoping whoever's in charge of maintaining the website (Bob, maybe) will figure out what I'm talking about and remove that annoyingly long spam header.

Hahaha!  William, Bill & Laura Athur are the hosts of this site.   Cheesy  Bob only thinks he's in charge.  Thanks for the laugh!  Good thing I wasn't eating anything.  I would have choked on my food.   Cheesy
Randi Corless 75

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 12:42:24 PM »

Hahaha!  William, Bill & Laura Athur are the hosts of this site.   Cheesy  Bob only thinks he's in charge.  Thanks for the laugh!  Good thing I wasn't eating anything.  I would have choked on my food.   Cheesy

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Bonny your reply made me laugh harder than Williams!!

THANK YOU BILL your the bawm diggity!!

-Martin Luther King Jr.
Ed Soto 72

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 12:45:06 PM »

For what it's worth, occasionally I access the website via my PALM T/X pda via wifi.  I jumped on last night to find that the pda also displays a truncated version of the banner.
Danny Dotson 70

Cheese, there I said it.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 01:03:35 PM »

Kinda desperate to post hmmmm?

"Never misunderstand what you thought you misunderstood while presuming you misunderstood what you understanded, understood?. Ynnad Nostod
Ed Soto 72

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 01:16:55 PM »

Hahaha...makes me totally mobile, even from the 'john', so you never know quite where I'm coming atcha from!  Wink Cool
Bonny Alaska 73

Cedar City, UT

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 01:20:32 PM »

TMI!!![/font]
Ed Soto 72

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 02:13:21 PM »

Bonny,

LOL.  Not to worry...the airwaves filter out the germs...I'm a clean post'n machine!   Wink Cheesy
Lynne Harding 71

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 04:51:21 PM »

When I signed in some junk flashed on the screen then disappeared...did that happen when you signed in too, anybody? Huh
Judy Petalas 69
Global Moderator

Alpine, CA

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »

When I signed in some junk flashed on the screen then disappeared...did that happen when you signed in too, anybody? Huh

Lynne,

I'm just getting the long page of spam links.  I get them on some pages and not on others. 

I wonder how long it would have taken me, you, and Connie to figure out on our own that we could scroll past those links? LMAO!  A big THANK YOU to Bill for letting me know!!   Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to: