Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

91494 Posts in 6448 Topics- by 1297 Members - Latest Member: Kris Capraro 69
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: New School / Old School  (Read 18483 times)
Bill Arthur 71
Administrator

Lawndale, CA

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2006, 02:38:25 PM »

I mentioned this on the old board but though it could be said again, especially to start out this section.

We were impressed with how new our school was when we started, back on opening day 1966.

But to a kid starting now, EDHS is 40 years old.

That would have been to us like going to a school built in 1926. Even Valencia wasn't that old.
Judy Petalas 69
Global Moderator

Alpine, CA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 02:45:57 PM »

Bill,

When was Valencia built?  Seems to me it was in like the 1930's or thereabouts.  All I remember is that after going to OLD Valencia for my first year of high school, El Dorado was such a refreshing pleasure!  Everything was brand new and pristine.  I felt like we were so lucky to attend such a pretty school.   Smiley
Lawanda Price 72

A Valley girl and the Hillbilly????

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 02:48:33 PM »

I mentioned this on the old board but though it could be said again, especially to start out this section.

We were impressed with how new our school was when we started, back on opening day 1966.

But to a kid starting now, EDHS is 40 years old.

That would have been to us like going to a school built in 1926. Even Valencia wasn't that old.
Hey
some of us WENT to Valencia (well not when it first opened)  When I attended it was Bradford Elementary and the ONLY school in Placentia.

LFS
Bloomfield, MO
Bill Arthur 71
Administrator

Lawndale, CA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 02:48:56 PM »

Valencia was built by WPA, which should put it about 1936 or so.

And just to further date things, El Dorado's construction was delayed because the special steel for the beams and columns was in short supply and was rationed because of the Vietnam War.
Bill Arthur 71
Administrator

Lawndale, CA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 02:53:39 PM »

I went to Bradford, too. But it wasn't the only school. McFadden was there in the south, and I went to Ruby Drive in 1961 when it was only halfway built and had only 1st through 3rd grades.

All of us kids at Bradford elementary used the Valencia cafeteria and auditorium.

Hey
some of us WENT to Valencia (well not when it first opened)  When I attended it was Bradford Elementary and the ONLY school in Placentia.
Lawanda Price 72

A Valley girl and the Hillbilly????

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 03:00:46 PM »

I went to Bradford, too. But it wasn't the only school. McFadden was there in the south, and I went to Ruby Drive in 1961 when it was only halfway built and had only 1st through 3rd grades.

All of us kids at Bradford elementary used the Valencia cafeteria and auditorium.

I was at Bradford for two years then went to Ruby Drive.  I guess we were to close to Ruby to go to Mc Fadden, I don't even remember if it was open yet.  Give me a memory refresh, where was Mc Fadden located.

LFS
Bloomfield, MO
Bill Arthur 71
Administrator

Lawndale, CA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 03:12:04 PM »

McFadden was on the corner of Melrose and LaJolla. It was built in the 1930's also.

(the other side of the tracks)
Judy Petalas 69
Global Moderator

Alpine, CA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 03:16:45 PM »

Hey

Lawanda,

I spent my whole freshman year at Valencia.  I hated it!  I hated the look of the school, I didn't like many of the students, and I really hated that girls wanted to beat me up!  I was brand new in Placentia having just moved from Reseda.  I had high hopes of high school being fun and cool, but it wasn't anything like that at Valencia.

When I started my sophomore year at the brand new El Dorado, it was like a night and day difference from Valencia.  I finally enjoyed going to school again!   Smiley
Bob Wilkie
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 04:05:39 AM »

Well, anyway, the kids call it  Nu Skool/Old School...
Judy, having lived in Burbank until I was 14, I knew
right away that the valley was cooler than the OC could hope to be...
As nice as the orange groves smelled when blooming,
there was more sense of fun, friendship and good times to me
in Burbank,where the  great movie studios abounded, Lockheed Air Terminal
was nearby, all good things when you are 14...
My aunt worked at Warner's in payroll, and handed Clint Eastwood and other semi
famous celebs their paychecks in the 1960's...
My grand dad worked at Warner's and Columbia and had some
great old Errol Flynn stories. That was cool to a kid...LOL...
(Do you realize most of us have now outlived Flynn?)
Old OC Schools?
I know Fullerton High is very old...
Richard Nixon went there, as did the famous Hall of Fame
pitcher Walter Johnson. (for his freshman year, then his family moved to Idaho)
Huntington Beach High is very old, too.
Bill Arthur 71
Administrator

Lawndale, CA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 08:18:20 AM »

Bob,

Laura lived in Burbank and went to Burroughs HS. Most of her firends had parents in the studios, and are now working for the studios. It seems like most of her class never left Burbank.

Ron Howard was in her class. The big thing on Friday night was "Let's go TP Opie's house"
Grant Eller 70
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 09:59:25 AM »

I was reading in the OC Register that EDHS was rated one of the top schools on OC. I believe they were in the TOP 5. I'll check if the article is online.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in his sleep -- Not screaming like all the passengers in his car."--Author Unknown
Al Eakle 72

Panama City FL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 10:22:18 AM »

Sure is hard to think of EDHS as a 40 year old school.....until I realized I started 7th grade there 40 years ago....LOL

Al Eakle
Class of 1972
Laura Arthur 70
Administrator

Dance! Dance! Dance!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 10:50:22 AM »

Bob...

Speaking of Beautiful Downtown Burbank...
I was raised there almost ALL of my childhood. Went to Central Elementary (Now called Walt Disney I believe) went to Jordan Jr High and then Burroughs High School. I had so much fun living in that small town atmosphere (which is pretty much gone now) Hung out at Bob's Big Boy in Toluca Lake, The Pickwick Drive-in, Cornell Theater and oh so much more....even saw Sonny and Cher sitting at Orange Julius one day across from NBC...of course I am so sorry now that I TP'D Ronnie Howards house. I wish I had been a little nicer to him...(lol) His family lived on the corner of my girlfriends street and I was always over there so one night we decided to get mischievious.

One thing about living close to the studios is that we were unimpressed by fame. Not to say we didn't enjoy it but we were so used to seeing movie sets, filming etc that it became "part" of living in that down.

El Segundo has the same sort of feeling regarding filiming. There is MUCH filming that goes on here. Oh it's like going back in time for me sometimes.

I didn't realize you lived in Burbank for a while.

"Before Elvis, there was nothing"

John Lennon
Randi Corless 75

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 12:08:12 PM »

Laura,

HAHAHA you lived in Beautiful downtown Burbank when it was CALLED Beautiful down Burbank...  Loved Laugh In.. What a great childhood!

Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it.
-Martin Luther King Jr.
Bonny Alaska 73

Cedar City, UT

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 01:47:13 PM »

One of my aunts and a lot of my cousins live in Burbank and it's anything but beautiful now.  Of course, the area around El Dorado isn't near as beautiful as it used to be anymore either.  Everything was so new, fresh and clean when we were in high school.  Things always seem so much dirtier when they are older for some reason.  Just my opinion of course.  No offense to those of you who still live there.  I couldn't afford to go back now...That's for sure!   Shocked
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to: