Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

91462 Posts in 6447 Topics- by 1294 Members - Latest Member: Melvin Smith 04
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: 75 check-in  (Read 26418 times)
Joan Shattuck 75

Rockwall,Tx

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2009, 10:28:10 AM »

Bonnie,  I'll try to get her on here even if I have to sit at her computer and get her on the site.  I think she'd love it!  I'm going out there next week, so I'll see what I can do.  I'll tell her you said hi.  Don't you have a brother that was in my class?
Bonny Alaska 73

Cedar City, UT

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2009, 10:36:20 AM »

Yep.  His name is Bob.  He's still living in Yorba Linda.  He comes up a couple times a year to visit me and my family.  Lots of times we all end up camping or hunting or fishing together (or all of the above).  I've got a 30 year old son who's married and has 2 little girls (ages 1 & 3), and a 27 year old daughter who's married and has a little boy who will turn 1 next week.   
David Mattie 75

San Diego, CA

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2009, 04:13:01 PM »

Hi Bonnie,
Yes the chili peppers are wonderful roasted, I would experiment on putting the pepper into a flame such as your cook top or bar b que.  Char the pepper till the outer skin peels or blisters, you need to roast the entire pepper in order to get this outer skin off.  Once you have roasted the pepper put it in a small tupper ware and close the lid for about 5 minutes, this allows the pepper to steam the skin off.  Now Pull out all of the seeds but leave the pepper whole.  Rachero Cheese is a round package of cheese I find it at vons in the cheese section. It is a mexican type of cheese so ask a hispanic person if you have any in your area.  I live 20 minutes from the border so it's no problemo haha... Stuff the cheese in the pepper and micro for one minute.. and vala! chile rellono home made...

Oh if you want to make you life easier roasting the peppers just put in oven at 400 degrees and watch carefully for abot 15 minutes and you can tell when ready after you ruin a few... Cheesy

Good luck and let me know how they turn out! I love Jalapenos this way... and try this style of peppers with cheese over a top sirloin steak...

Shocked
David Mattie 75

San Diego, CA

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2009, 04:28:29 PM »

Hey Dave,
Ok, yes the soil here is crap, it is like black clay and if you walk through it when it's wet, you grow a few inches because it sticks to everything! So what are you doing now workwise in San Diego?  Your previous jobs sound really interesting.  I was a dental assistant (not so interesting) before we moved here in 81, and then with the way the housing market was here (CHEAP), I was able to stay home.  My husband John has worked for Bridgford Foods (yes, the building with the clock, off the 91 and Lemon) for 31 years.
Haven't started packing yet but thinking about it!

Joan I thought about this today and you are the Original Elastigirl from the Increidibles aren't you!  I mean she could stretch and do just about anything, yep that's you! Did you see the movie?  I thought it was hilarious! They even had a daughter and son just like you and a super husband...  Grin

Yes being on the large construction projects was really great but most of the time I was in an office doing bids from plans and specifications.  After the last time I got laid off I just never went back to it and now I repair homes and remodel kitchens and baths when my contractor buddies need help.  I am in the jest of starting up my Ice Tea Slushie business so that's why I keep on with the construction I can work on my tea business when it's slow.  What did you Hubby John do at bridgeford foods? My moms 2nd husband worked there a while ago maybe he knew of him.  Bud Fleishcer was his name.  I remember I took a job at 18 unloading frozen carcasses of pigs once at bridgeford foods.  I dint do well at that job...
 Cheesy
more later my time is running out.  I am at the friggin library since I am in the middle of getting a new internet provider, cox wont be out to my house to connect internet until Tuesday...
Joan Shattuck 75

Rockwall,Tx

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2009, 08:42:59 PM »

Hey Dave,
I think everyone has worked at Bridgford at one time or another!  John started there as a sales guy and has worked his way up in his 31 years there.  Great family company, still small, everyone knows everyone.  He went to high school with all the Bridgford kids and played tennis and when he graduated from college(he went on a tennis scholarship), they hired him on.  Believe it or not, he is now the president of Bridgford Foods.  He worked hard and had a lucky break or two in his career.  He travels a lot, but he loves it.  Part of the reason I'm going out to Cal is for the stockholders meeting next week.  It's always fun like a family reunion.  He had a great mentor at work, and I love seeing him.
So, I guess I have a new identity, elastigirl?  Don't know about that but I do do yoga!
David Mattie 75

San Diego, CA

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2009, 12:35:46 PM »

Yes Joan I think Elastigirl works well for you, it sounds like you guys made all the right decisions in life.  (Which is more than I can say) I thought your husband worked there in Dallas? Does he commute to Fullerton alot? That is really exciting that he has made it to Pres of the company.  Hey maybe you could give me some pointers on my Iced Tea Slushee that I am making.  Since you know the food business...If we can meet up I will bring you some to sample...

Have you thought about getting a ski boat and have all your buddies over to water ski during the day while John works all over... Cheesy 

Well Joan you better get packing...

David Mattie 75

San Diego, CA

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2009, 12:38:10 PM »

Hi Bonnie,
Have you had a chance to roast the peppers? The cheese I was refering to is in a 4 inch round vacume sealed plastic and is about 1 1/2 inches thick.  It also has the name of Queso Fresco on the front as well as Rachero...
The jalapeno term for these peppers is "Poppers" but I am sure you figured this out...
Bonny Alaska 73

Cedar City, UT

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2009, 12:44:38 PM »

Thanks for the info on the peppers Dave.  I'll let you know how they turn out when the time comes.  Right now I'm still working on sprouting the plants.
Joan Shattuck 75

Rockwall,Tx

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2009, 08:22:21 PM »

Hey Dave,
It's so fun getting on here and having a running conversation.  Whatever happened to Dale Hoebel?  I think he started this whole thing.  Anyway, Bridgford has several plants, the headquarters is in Anaheim and they have two plants in Dallas, one in Chicago and one in North Carolina.  The company actually started out in your town of San Diego as a butcher shop.  John goes out to Cal once a month and then travels all around the country and internationally as well.  They do a lot of meals for the military.  He's in Toronto right now.  I have learned to be very independent!!  He has been in the food service industry for a long time and can maybe be of some help with the ice tea business.  It looks like I might be able to have a day or two at the end of my trip to get together .  Maybe we could meet halfway.  I come back here on the 25th so maybe the 23rd or 24th?  I'll have a car.  I'll e-mail or call you when I get out there.  What are the details of your business?
No plans on a ski boat.  I hear that the two best days of your life are when you buy a boat and when you sell it!  I think I will stick with a kayak.
Talk to you later,
Elastigirl
Monica Sarthou 73

Flower Mound, TX

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2009, 02:56:08 AM »

Hey Dave,
Ok, yes the soil here is crap, it is like black clay and if you walk through it when it's wet, you grow a few inches because it sticks to everything!

Hi Joan,
Flower Mound is about 50 miles from Rockwell, but we have heavy clay soil -ours is red - here too.  Your peppers and any other veggies will grow great if you make the space where you are currently growing them into a raised bed.  It is fast and easy with no digging required, plus very easy to tend.  All peppers (and all vegetables I have tried) seem to do great this way, and the clay doesn't matter.  I have habaneros, jalapenos, serranos, poblanos, and green, red, orange, yellow, purple and champagne sweet bell peppers. 

David Mattie 75

San Diego, CA

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2009, 09:48:46 AM »

Hey Elastigirl,
That sounds good to meet half way I will block out those two days until I hear from you... I emailed Dale a few months back and he is fine and wants me to swing by for Tequila shots  Undecided Cheesy I will bring Orange juice haha... I will have a portfolio of my Tea Slushies to show you...
Ok have a safe trip are you girls going to try the Country Club in Avalon? 
Chow
Joan Shattuck 75

Rockwall,Tx

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2009, 06:34:46 PM »

Hi Monica,
Thanks for the info on the peppers.  How long have you been here in the Lone Star State?  It's nice to know I have a neighbor from a familiar place.
Joan Shattuck 75

Rockwall,Tx

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2009, 06:36:38 PM »

Dave,
Tell me about the Country Club in Avalon.  Sound like something we'll have to check out!
Joan
Monica Sarthou 73

Flower Mound, TX

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2009, 07:20:37 PM »

Hi Monica,
Thanks for the info on the peppers.  How long have you been here in the Lone Star State?  It's nice to know I have a neighbor from a familiar place.

Hi Joan,
It will be four years in July.  We lived in Fullerton when my husband was transferred to Dallas.  His Mom and brother are here, he lived in Plano during junior high and high school, and went to UT Austin so this was coming home for him.
David Mattie 75

San Diego, CA

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2009, 10:04:52 PM »

Hey Elastigirl
I cannot tell you everything about Avalon. I will leave it to your adventures to find out the fun things to seek out!  Seek and You will find!  See if you can find the Cat in the Hat House!  At least that's what I call it.  There is also Chicken Run which is what I call it, though you need a boat to find it.  4 miles north of Avalon...

The Hike up the to the top of the Island is straight up! So bring water and hiking shorts.  I wore cotton shorts and those aren't good for hiking specially in August. 

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to: