Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

91473 Posts in 6447 Topics- by 1296 Members - Latest Member: Wendi Skajem 89
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Class of 72  (Read 15332 times)
Bonny Alaska 73

Cedar City, UT

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2009, 11:49:07 AM »

Hahaha!  You must be under the same misconception that I was.  I thought the little piglets were going to be cute little things that Mindy might get attached to.  They're not though and they certainly don't get any more endearing when you see how they act.  The calf they raised for the meat was actually cuter.  If you buy them knowing you're going to raise them to eat, you don't get attached to them and the meat is delicious!
Lawanda Price 72

A Valley girl and the Hillbilly????

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2009, 03:35:31 PM »

Oooohhhh...Bonnie!  If I raised animals that we eat, I would definitely be a vegetarian. 

If you have ever eaten FRESH pork, you might change your mind.  I had always eaten "store bought" pork.  One winter we were in Kentucky and Mr. Hillbilly and his nephew butchered a hog.  OMG!!!  the BEST pork I have ever eaten.  (no this "City" girl did NOT HELP.  In fact I was in a DIFFERENT HOUSE, away from it all)

LFS
Bloomfield, MO
Bonny Alaska 73

Cedar City, UT

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2009, 03:39:59 PM »

We take them to the meat processing place and drop them off.  They kill them, cut them up, cure the stuff we want cured, and wrap it up.  Then we come back and pick up the packages of meat.  I agree Lawanda.  It's delicious and it melts in your mouth.
Al Eakle 72

Panama City FL

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2009, 04:16:06 PM »

Can someone tell me what butchering pigs has to do with the subject: Class of 72??

LOL

Al Eakle
Class of 1972
Lynne Harding 71

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2009, 04:34:09 PM »

SNOW!   Cheesy
Bonny Alaska 73

Cedar City, UT

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2009, 03:56:14 PM »

Sorry Al.  That was my fault.  That's kinda how it is if you're talking to me in person too  Grin
Diana Gresham 72

Sandpoint, ID

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2009, 12:36:32 PM »

Ha Ha Ha!  Actually I can speak to both accounts...snow/ice and piglets too!
Yes, Lawanda and Bonny fresh pork is absolutely the best and oh so tastey.  But it was a bit disconcerting to make friends with our "Spamala" and other piggies who were as smart as doggies and fun to watch, and then ship them off to the local butcher.  We haven't done it since the kids were in 4H....
And yes, Bonny, trying to do ANY outside chores during the winter is REALLY, REALLY hard on your body!  So whenever a day of that happens, we head for the hot tub to soak our sore bones! 
Fortunately, the weather man says it is going to stop snowing for a week!  Yea!
diana
Al Eakle 72

Panama City FL

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2009, 01:55:29 PM »

Can't say we've had a lot of snow here...but it sure has been cold....and more of the same is inbound....single digit highs on Thursday and Friday with below zero lows at night. We're ready for Florida....and about 3 weeks to go.

Al Eakle
Class of 1972
Craig Moon 72

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2009, 04:15:04 PM »

Let me tell you about winter. Try -25 with windchill of -45. I haven't shaved in three months nor been out of my insulated overalls in nearly that long. The drifts have been so deep and wind packed the horses just use them to walk over the fences. For single digits, I'd have to take my parka off. Believe me you don't want to know how much snow can be moved in 150 hours with a tractor and 6 foot bucket. If you need to get seriously depressed, tell me how to upload a picture of winter! Change the subject...please!
Lawanda Price 72

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2009, 08:16:16 AM »

Let me tell you about winter. Try -25 with windchill of -45. I haven't shaved in three months nor been out of my insulated overalls in nearly that long. The drifts have been so deep and wind packed the horses just use them to walk over the fences. For single digits, I'd have to take my parka off. Believe me you don't want to know how much snow can be moved in 150 hours with a tractor and 6 foot bucket. If you need to get seriously depressed, tell me how to upload a picture of winter! Change the subject...please!
Glad to see you back with us, don't be such a stranger!!!

LFS
Bloomfield, MO
Craig Moon 72

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 03:12:17 PM »

I was hoping to hear about fine weather, but tuned in to hear some complaining about some spring like conditions! Lawanda, did the ice storm get you? We got clobbered February 2007, an ice storm took down nearly every power pole and transmission line in the county. We went 11 days without power, including through a blizzard that put a 10 foot drift between the house and barn. Based on that experience I hope you dodged the storm.

I still haven't shaved, but my wife made me get a haircut!
Lawanda Price 72

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2009, 04:19:50 PM »

I was hoping to hear about fine weather, but tuned in to hear some complaining about some spring like conditions! Lawanda, did the ice storm get you? We got clobbered February 2007, an ice storm took down nearly every power pole and transmission line in the county. We went 11 days without power, including through a blizzard that put a 10 foot drift between the house and barn. Based on that experience I hope you dodged the storm.

I still haven't shaved, but my wife made me get a haircut!
We got it last year AND this year.  Mr Hillbilly thought after spending the summer cutting logs he was done -- NOT.  We thought all the trees were "safe", guess there is no such thing, the ICE took out more trees AND the electric pole in the yard.  I have to say we didn't get it near as bad as those folks living SOUTH of us.  Some of them are STILL without power.

LFS
Bloomfield, MO
Connie Huebotter 72

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2011, 02:06:28 PM »

I may be a little late, but summer would work best for me since I teach school.  It would be great to get together and see everyone.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to: