Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

91438 Posts in 6443 Topics- by 1293 Members - Latest Member: Peter Huskisson 75
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: EDHS 40th Anniversary  (Read 15542 times)
Douglas Curtis 70

Living the Dream!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 10:02:45 AM »

Like Pat (and others), I started in 1967 in the 10th grade.  My family moved to Placentia in the spring of 1966 and I attended Valencia briefly as a ninth grader and was happy to be attending a new school with new students.  Too new for cliques and gangs, and fist fights.  I had a bad feeling about Valencia and felt certain I was going to end up in a lot of fights if I returned there.
Very few knew that two years earlier (Feb 1965) I graduated from Camp Kilpatrick, in the Malibu hills.  That camp has become famous via the movie "Grid Iron Gang."
The movie didn't do justice for the quantity of violence that existed, or the level of illiteracy - both permeated the camp. 
Thanks to the kindess and tolerance that existed at El Dorado, I was eventually  rehabilitated.  Thanks!
Judy Petalas 69
Global Moderator

Alpine, CA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 11:10:31 AM »

Like Pat (and others), I started in 1967 in the 10th grade.  My family moved to Placentia in the spring of 1966 and I attended Valencia briefly as a ninth grader and was happy to be attending a new school with new students.  Too new for cliques and gangs, and fist fights.  I had a bad feeling about Valencia and felt certain I was going to end up in a lot of fights if I returned there.
Very few knew that two years earlier (Feb 1965) I graduated from Camp Kilpatrick, in the Malibu hills.  That camp has become famous via the movie "Grid Iron Gang."
The movie didn't do justice for the quantity of violence that existed, or the level of illiteracy - both permeated the camp. 
Thanks to the kindess and tolerance that existed at El Dorado, I was eventually  rehabilitated.  Thanks!

Doug,

I also attended Valencia but for our full freshman year.  I hated it!  I had to take the bus and there were a couple of Hispanic girls who always wanted to kick my butt.  I'm a lover, not a fighter!! 

I was thrilled when they built El Dorado!  A bright, fresh, new school and those girls who picked on me on the bus stayed at Valencia.  What a relief!  Plus, EDHS was right down the street from my house.  Much nicer experience than at Valencia!! 
Al Eakle 72

Panama City FL

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 01:06:30 PM »

We moved to Placentia in March 1966, and I finished the 6th grade at Golden. Not too many of us who can say we spent 6 years at the same school, with many of the same friends. The late 60s and early 70s at EDHS were certainly interesting times. Scary also to look at an old yearbook or TV program on TVLand and see how we dressed back then.....LOL

Al Eakle
Class of 1972
Laura Lesher 00

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 10:32:22 AM »

Doug,

I also attended Valencia but for our full freshman year.  I hated it!  I had to take the bus and there were a couple of Hispanic girls who always wanted to kick my butt.  I'm a lover, not a fighter!! 

I was thrilled when they built El Dorado!  A bright, fresh, new school and those girls who picked on me on the bus stayed at Valencia.  What a relief!  Plus, EDHS was right down the street from my house.  Much nicer experience than at Valencia!! 

Funny, I don't know if much has changed about Valencia. My friend was a bus driver for PYLUSD and mentioned that VHS and Kraemer Middle School had some terrible gang problems--he hated driving either school's students.

Danny Dotson 70

Cheese, there I said it.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 10:11:29 AM »

Judy, I moved to Placentia in my 8th grade year and had the same wonderful experience. Mexicans wanting to kick the back side of my front side. Kraemer holds many a wonderful experience.

Oooops, did I say mexican, I meant Hispanic. I forgot they changed the name.
Where is Hispania anyway?

"Never misunderstand what you thought you misunderstood while presuming you misunderstood what you understanded, understood?. Ynnad Nostod
Judy Petalas 69
Global Moderator

Alpine, CA

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 10:42:25 AM »

Judy, I moved to Placentia in my 8th grade year and had the same wonderful experience. Mexicans wanting to kick the back side of my front side. Kraemer holds many a wonderful experience.

Oooops, did I say mexican, I meant Hispanic. I forgot they changed the name.
Where is Hispania anyway?

Danny,

You and I rode the same bus when you were at Kraemer and I was at Valencia.  Remember the girl the bus used to pick up right on the north end of where Tri-City Park now sits?  She's the Hispanic girl who always wanted to kick my butt!  Once we'd get to school, her friends would be waiting at the bus for her and they constantly gave me grief. 

Wasn't it a relief when El Dorado was built so close to us?  It was like a breath of fresh air compared to my experiences at Valencia!   
Lynne Harding 71

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 02:13:26 PM »

I don't have very fond memories of Kraemer, either.  El Dorado was a welcome break, that's for sure.
Danny Dotson 70

Cheese, there I said it.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 05:37:28 PM »

Judy, I have no memory of riding the bus. Did you see me on the bus? I have been scouring my brain, actually I used a used brillo pad to try and remember getting on a bus then.

"Never misunderstand what you thought you misunderstood while presuming you misunderstood what you understanded, understood?. Ynnad Nostod
Judy Petalas 69
Global Moderator

Alpine, CA

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 11:28:15 AM »

Judy, I have no memory of riding the bus. Did you see me on the bus? I have been scouring my brain, actually I used a used brillo pad to try and remember getting on a bus then.

Danny,

Yes, I totally remember you being on the bus and it wasn't the short bus. LOL 

You and I had the same bus stop and I saw you there often.
Danny Dotson 70

Cheese, there I said it.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 11:39:12 AM »

Ack, that is so weird. I have no memory whatsoever of riding the bus. Maybe my car accident took that memory. How can brain injury take out riding a bus? Hahahahaha
Weird. I have so many questions about things from the past but I don't have any family to ask so I guess I have rebuilt my past with many things missing. Where did the bus drop me off?

Judy Petalas 69
Global Moderator

Alpine, CA

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 03:19:36 PM »

Danny,

Our bus stop was right around the corner from your house.  I'm having a hard time remembering the name of the street right now...to get to it, I had to walk 4 houses down Brookhaven, then turned left.  What is the name of that street? 

Let's see...you would have walked out your front door, turned right at the corner for about 2 houses, then left.  It was on that corner whatever the heck the name is!

Although I can't remember the name of the street, I do remember it was on the corner just a few houses up from the Stovall's.  See Danny, you're not the only one who can't remember things! 
Danny Dotson 70

Cheese, there I said it.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2008, 03:46:35 PM »

Well that makes me feel good. hahahahahaha
It was Haber and I lived on Haber circle, I think
Still I should have some memory of the bus
I guess no one did anything traumatic to me
on the bus so I  have a memory of it

Sue Haynes 71

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 08:56:29 PM »

I don't have very fond memories of Kraemer, either.  El Dorado was a welcome break, that's for sure.

I thought Kraemer was GREAT!!!!  You know Lynn, cousins and sisters in the same home room and all.  Had GREAT teachers. 
Lynne Harding 71

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 10:25:20 PM »

LOL! Sue, we did have some good and lasting friendships made there, that's for sure.  Overall, it wasn't the best of experiences for me.  We had a much better time at EDHS.  BTW, I miss our lockermate, Johnny. 

Judy Petalas 69
Global Moderator

Alpine, CA

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 07:13:32 AM »

Well that makes me feel good. hahahahahaha
It was Haber and I lived on Haber circle, I think
Still I should have some memory of the bus
I guess no one did anything traumatic to me
on the bus so I  have a memory of it

Danny,

While in bed last night, I finally remembered the name of the street where our bus stop was.  It was Ponce!  Our bus stop was right on the corner of Ponce and ?. LOL
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to: