Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

91475 Posts in 6447 Topics- by 1296 Members - Latest Member: Wendi Skajem 89
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: EDHS 40th Anniversary  (Read 15908 times)
Bill Arthur 71
Administrator

Lawndale, CA

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2006, 12:18:31 PM »

2006 is coming to a close, and it was 40 year ago this year that El Dorado opened.

To a student starting today a 40 year old is ancient. Those of us who were there in 1966 thought Valencia was prehistoric, but in reality Valencia was "only" 30 years old.

For a 40 year old, she's looking pretty good. Happy Anniversary!
Lawanda Price 72

A Valley girl and the Hillbilly????

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 12:29:04 PM »

Bradford was older than that.  I started Kindergarten at Bradford in 19??.  Valencia was the high school then.  Well it was there.  I don't know if it was NAMED Valencia HS or Bradford HS, but it is the SAME building.

LFS
Bloomfield, MO
Bill Arthur 71
Administrator

Lawndale, CA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 12:44:32 PM »

I went to Bradford in 1964.  Everything to the north of the auditorium was Valencia HS, everything south of the auditorium was Bradford Elementary.

They were both built by the WPA during the depression, around 1936.
Lynne Harding 71

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 01:27:42 PM »

Boy, time just flies!  Remember the first year there?  And the campus has just continued to grow....memories.
Bill Arthur 71
Administrator

Lawndale, CA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 02:12:10 PM »

Yeah, we thought we were high tech back then. A school with no doors! And closed circuit TV! And whole walls for chalkboards!

But no computers, no calculators, not even a xerox machine or an answering machine.

And I still remember the smell of quizes right out for the spirit duplicator.
Jolynn Butler 86

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 02:50:28 PM »

Bill,
In 1986 they still used those duplicators.  I remember as an aid having to spin that thing....
Lawanda Price 72

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 02:57:11 PM »

I went to Bradford in 1964.  Everything to the north of the auditorium was Valencia HS, everything south of the auditorium was Bradford Elementary.

Bill you STARTED at Bradford the year my sister Graduated from Valencia.....  ??  but I date myself don't I   LOL

LFS
Bloomfield, MO
Lynne Harding 71

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 03:11:53 PM »

LaWanda, we're all a little "dated", some of us just a little more than others.  We only have to worry when we become "outdated!' Cheesy

I wonder, do they still have the moveable walls?
Lawanda Price 72

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 03:15:11 PM »

When I was there in NOV we couldn't get into the school grounds.  They lock the front gate.  ALlie and I drove by the Old Bradford school (which is now Valencia) and I was really sad to see they tore down the Kindergarten building.  REALLY made me feel soooo old.

LFS
Bloomfield, MO
Jim Bauman 70
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 03:35:34 PM »

I moved to SoCal in 1969 and I remember at the time that Troy HS in Fullerton was the new "model" school.  But, I ended up at EDHS instead (!!!!). Even EDHS was so different than any other school I'd seen. I'd just moved down from Calgary, Alberta. Talk about a fish out of water!

Bill Arthur 71
Administrator

Lawndale, CA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 04:43:01 PM »

Sonora HS in La Habra (FUSD) was built the same year as El Dorado and must have had the same architects, as there were a lot of similarities. The windows, beams, columns and panels looked the same at both schools.

But Sonora was built all under one roof, with no outside walkways. That was groundbreaking in those days and it got nation attention and articles in architectural magazines.

It didn't seem fair that our school, which seemed so revolutionary to us, had to watch a nearby rival get all the attention.
Connie Boden 73
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 03:03:25 PM »

Don't forget the Jr. High. Kramer Jr. High was on the same campus as well. I went to Bradford in 2nd grade, before Wagner was built.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.
     - Carl Bard
Lawanda Price 72

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 05:25:26 PM »

Connie, Kraemer JH was built much later when the population outgrew the main campus.  It was the NEW school when I was getting ready for middle school.  My sister went to 7th grade there before EDHS was opened.

LFS
Bloomfield, MO
Karen Reims 73

Oak Park, IL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 05:39:20 AM »

I started at EDHS when I was in 7th grade cuz the Jr. Hi wasn't built (I think that's why).  Loved the open campus feel of the school.  Then we moved semester break my senior year,and I came to Illinois and attended a high school so completely different that it was a culture shock.  It was a huge, enclosed, three story building with myriad wings to it.  Felt like a fish out of water as this was what everyone here was used to.  Then when I went to college I felt at home again....had the separate English building, the math building, etc. etc.

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun ~ Katherine Hepburn
Charles Thompson 69

Istanbul

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 08:05:40 AM »

I started in 1967.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 10:03:14 AM by Charles Thompson 69 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: